Sunday, November 7, 2010

There is a first for everything...


Welcome to my blog. This is my first post. Just to give you some background information, I was born in Tulsa, OK at 8 lbs 10 oz.

I suppose blogging is like public journaling. Usually I can trust a journal with my darkest and deepest secrets, but since this forum is open I’ll just share the shallower and less invasive places of my soul.

To start, I would like to tell you about my weekend. The goal was to make a day trip to Tulsa to accomplish five things: eat lunch with the lovely Hannah Pike, go to the doctor, get my phone charger and bike key from my house, go to my friend Avery’s art show downtown, and make it back to Edmond before 12 pm. 

All was going according to plan. I had lunch with Hannah while we watched the animated film, FernGully (staring the voice of Robin Williams). FernGully is the original Avatar. Everyone thought that Avatar was just a nock off of Pocahontas. Wrong. It was nearly an exact copy of FernGully… with the exception of a more sophisticated graphics team. After lunch and a movie with Hannah, I drove to St. Francis for my doctor’s appointment. Just as I was pulling into the parking lot, my car decided to die. Fortunately, it had just enough momentum to make it into a parking space… My parents were in Dallas this weekend and my phone was about to die so, needless to say, I was a little worried about being stranded. But I went into the doctor’s office, and called my mom and dad in the waiting room to get some advice. They told me to call Papaw (my mom’s step-dad) and have him take care of me. So I called my grandpa and he picked me up after my appointment. We called a towing company and they (after a full hour) came and whisked my car away to the shop where hopefully it will be fixed at minimal cost.

This may sound to you like a stressful scenario but truth be told, the next few hours I spent trying to fix the situation with Papaw were some of the most precious and intimate moments I’ve ever had with any of my grandparents. When I tried to thank him for taking the time to help me he said, “Well honey, that’s what were here for. Now are you going to have dinner with us or not?” To which I most decidedly answered, “YES!”  What could have been a really sad and stressful day ended up being perfect. I got to hear for the first time stories of how my grandparents met, how Papaw proposed, etc. When I asked him how he knew that Mamaw was the one, his face light up and he simply said, “I just knew Miss Ali. There are some things that you just know.” We spent a good majority of our time together simply sitting silently and enjoying each other’s company. I hadn’t felt so comfortable and safe in weeks. My heart was so full by the time we said goodbye.

I ended up accomplishing three of the five goals. I eventually made it to Avery’s art show, which I was most definitely underdressed for. I did get my bike key from my house, but because my key ring is slightly dilapidated it fell off at some undetermined point and is now lost forever. I successfully remembered my phone charger. I didn’t end up leaving Tulsa until Saturday night. Ha! But my time in Tulsa was well spent with several of my favorite people. I also accomplished many other things that I didn't expect. For example: I unloaded the the bed of the truck I will be driving for the next couple of weeks, since my car is dead; see picture below for reference. A lonely hour and a half ride back to Edmond on a dark highway was the perfect way to end the trip. I listened to School of Seven Bells, Sia, and Florence and the Machines. 


1 comment:

  1. I'm your first follower. I'm so proud.
    I love all of this. :)

    ReplyDelete