Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Here's to you and me! A toast to being alone.


Today is Wednesday. Tomorrow is Thursday and I only have two classes. After I get out of my last class on Thursday all I have left to accomplish until I am released for Christmas Break are finals. But since I have a moment, I’ll tell you what I am doing now. At this particular moment in time, I am sitting in Cuppies and Joe enjoying a cup of coffee and coming down off of a sugar high the cupcake I purchased gave me. I have developed a habit lately of going on what I call “lonely dates”. The premise is that I take one night and I devote it to enjoying myself by doing something that you can only do while alone. I decided since I am single and have no one to take me out, that I will take myself out. Yes, I go on dates with myself.  I talk to myself, pray by myself, read by myself, buy coffee (and occasionally a cupcake if I am feeling rather generous) for myself, and listen to my favorite music. I always make sure to look my best. I enjoy this habit very much and have found it to be very useful. I do not think that people give themselves enough credit and forget to take care of their own soul. I like to recognize my own person from time to time and thank it. God gave me a healthy mind and body and I need to honor that gift by treating both of them well. So tonight, I am treating my mind to some well-deserved time alone to think, pray, read, and enjoy some of the world’s finest delicacies – coffee and cupcakes.  I would encourage anyone to take themselves out on a date – single, married, or dating. This practice may seem narcissistic and self-serving. Well, perhaps it is, but I have found it to be very rewarding and if done right can give you a greater sense of self and a great measure of peace and calm. The moral of this story is: one may be the loneliest number, but being alone isn’t always a bad thing and can even add to one’s happiness. So stop spinning about and causing your world to go asunder. Take a breather. Read a book. Brave the world alone for a couple of hours. 




2 comments:

  1. I am a firm believer in dating myself. I have taken myself on several dates the past 2 years, they have been some of my favorite things I have done. It's been even more fun since I moved to Nashville and have been exploring by myself. I always remind myself that if I am not worth a little of my own time then something is very wrong.

    Enjoy your cupcake!

    ReplyDelete