Saturday, December 25, 2010

Marvin the Mouse


This year for Christmas, I decided to be thrifty and give my family paintings for presents rather than store bought treasures (which tend to empty my pocket book). My goal was to finish 9 paintings: 5 small paintings on canvas board (for my cousins) and 4 large paintings on stretched canvas (for the adult couples of my family). Like most projects, I procrastinated until the last week and faced the daunting task of finishing 7 paintings in 6 days. My brain has been on an alternate plane the entire week due to the ridiculous amounts of paint fumes I have been breathing. It came down to Christmas Eve and I had three paintings that needed finishing touches and three paintings that hadn’t even been started. So I painted from 11 o’clock in the morning until 6 o’clock at night when my family arrived for Christmas Eve dinner. I did however make a couple of trips down stairs to take care of various things, such as cleaning brushes, eating lunch, and stretching my legs. One venture I made downstairs and away from my studio was at the strong behest of my mother who called, “ALI GET DOWN HERE QUICK!” Since my family lives on the edge of town and we often have interesting wildlife in our backyard, I expected to find my family crowded around a single pair of binoculars peering out at a deer or bobcat. Instead what I found was a baby mouse that my father caught in a mason jar. World, I introduce to you my family’s first Christmas visitor: Marvin.





For those of you who are wondering what has become of Marvin, just ask my brother the question, “can baby mice swim?”

Have a happy holiday everyone, and have a cup of cheer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment